Can You Track Your Employees on Teams?
Employee tracking continues to be a major challenge for small businesses. While numerous budding applications are designed for this goal, selecting the best option for your business can take time and effort. To make this decision easier for you, let’s start by exploring Microsoft Teams.
It is possible to track employees on Teams. Microsoft Teams features powerful inbuilt tools that allow the administrator to view usage and activity data and generate reports. Accordingly, the administrator can track most activities employees undertake within the Teams ecosystem.
So can you track your employees on Teams? The rest of this article will discuss this question in greater detail. I will also explain the various activities that can be tracked in Teams and some alternatives worth considering. Read on for more.
How To Track Employee Activity on Teams
Microsoft Teams is a useful collaborative tool that allows managers to engage with employees. The application has been lauded for making it easy for these managers to interact with employees, whether they are working from the office or remotely.
As the FinanceOnline website explains, among the many functionalities of Microsoft Teams are real-time collaborations, video conferencing, and even file sharing. But how about tracking?
According to the above source, Microsoft Teams is a powerful tool for facilitating employee management and monitoring and is quite comprehensive. Accordingly, this tool allows managers to track chats, meetings, and even video calls by employees.
Essentially, you can track virtually everything employees do in the Teams environment. But how exactly does this work?
You can track employee activity on Teams using the following key features of this tool:
Power BI App
Microsoft Teams allows administrators to create Power BI reports within the app. This data visualization application provides a summary of each team’s workspace.
To monitor user activity using the Power BI app feature, follow these simple steps:
- Activate the Power BI license in teams by signing in to the service.
- Open the Power BI applications within Teams.
- Select Create from the options on the top menu bar.
- Under Create, select the option Analyze your Teams data.
One of the significant strengths of the Power BI feature in Teams is that it makes it easy to automatically create and display these reports in the Power BI app. You can then view these reports either in Teams or the app, download, edit, or make a copy of the report.
There are three main pages on the Teams activity analytics page:
- My activity page
- Teams activity page
- Team activity details page
The activity page provides a summary of your recent activities in teams. The standard period is the past 31 days, but you can modify this parameter to your preferred number of days. On the other hand, the Team activity page lets you view the list of activities for all teams.
The Team activity details page narrows this even further, letting you select an individual team and view the activities related to this team for the past ninety days.
Microsoft 365 Reports
The Microsoft 365 Reports feature is one of the most powerful tools on Teams that support employee monitoring. This feature allows you to monitor how employees in your company or business utilize Microsoft 365 services across the organization.
To access these reports, follow the following simple guidelines:
- Access the Teams admin center from https://admin.microsoft.com. Be sure you are assigned either the Teams administrator role or the global administrator.
- Select the Show all option on the left menu tab.
- Click on Report and then select Usage under the expanded Reports tab.
From the Usage window that appears, you can easily see the usage reports of different Microsoft Teams services. It also shows you which services are used most by your employees. You can scroll down the Usage page to view additional reports from the available activity cards.
Select the view more option.
For instance, you can determine how users access emails by accessing the email activities card. Simply select View More from the email activities tab.
While the reports page does not provide user information to protect user privacy, you can change this if you have Global administrator privileges by following the steps below:
- Select the Settings tab from the left-hand menu tabs.
- Under Settings, scroll down the list of services and choose Reports.
- Deselect the ‘Display concealed user group and site names in all reports’ option.
- Here, you can access user-level data on employee activities.
Activities That You Can Track on Teams
While Teams provides valuable insights into various employee activities, it is important to know what can be tracked.
The Microsoft Team tracking capability is limited to only those activities that employees in your organization perform in the app. Some of the information that you can easily generate includes the following:
- How many meetings a certain Team user has organized
- How many users communicate in unscheduled meetings
- Number of meetings a user or users have participated in
- View data on video, audio, and screen minutes
- Access statistics on chat communications
Strengthen Monitoring Using Wolfeye Remote Screen
It is indubitable that Microsoft Teams offers a powerful tool to manage and track employee activity. However, employee tracking is primarily limited to only activities users perform in Teams.
To strengthen your employee monitoring and tracking efforts, I recommend adding a reliable remote desktop software to complement Microsoft Teams. This way, you can monitor employee activities in the app and their activities when out of Teams.
This is where the Wolfeye Remote Screen comes in handy. The Wolfeye Remote Screen is a robust and reliable remote desktop application that supports remote access to target computers in your business.
By installing this app, you can not only monitor real-time screen activity, but you can get powerful insights into websites visited. This is because the app captures regular screenshots of the computer screen.
This Windows app works discreetly and invisibly on Windows startup. You can thus enhance your employee tracking efforts by using the Wolfeye Remote Screen in tandem with Microsoft Teams.
In closing, it is evident that Microsoft is a powerful management tool for remote communications and features built-in functionalities to support employee tracking. However, the activity reports generated tend to be limited in scope to only what happens in Teams.
Consider complementing Teams with the Wolfeye Remote Screen to elevate employee performance monitoring and tracking efforts in your business.
- Microsoft: Microsoft Teams
- FinancesOnline: Microsoft Execs Hit Employee Monitoring, a Microsoft Teams Feature
- ManageEngine: Monitor MS Teams to Track Employee Activities
- Microsoft: Analyze Your TReams Usage in the Power BI App for Teams
- Microsoft: Add the Power BI app to Microsoft Teams
- Microsoft: Microsoft 365 Reports in the Admin Center
- Microsoft: Create Reports From Data in Microsoft Teams
- Microsoft: Microsoft Teams User Activity Report
- Wolfeye Remote Screen: Monitor Everything that Happens on the PC